- I suggest that he study.
- Is it essential that we be there?
- Don recommended that you join the committee.
- You try to study often. you-form of "try"
- It is important that you try to study often. Subjunctive form of "try" looks the same.
- He tries to study often. he-form of "try"
- It is important that he try to study often. Subjunctive form of "try" is noticeable here.
Verbs Followed by the Subjunctive
to ask (that)
to command (that)
to demand (that)
to desire (that)
to insist (that)
to propose (that)
to recommend (that)
to request (that)
to suggest (that)
to urge (that)
- Dr. Smith asked that Mark submit his research paper before the end of the month.
- Donna requested Frank come to the party.
- The teacher insists that her students be on time.
Expressions Followed by the Subjunctive
It is crucial (that)
It is desirable (that)
It is essential (that)
It is imperative (that)
It is important (that)
It is recommended (that)
It is urgent (that)
It is vital (that)
It is a good idea (that)
It is a bad idea (that)
- It is crucial that you be there before Tom arrives.
- It is important she attend the meeting.
- It is recommended that he take a gallon of water with him if he wants to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
Negative, Continuous and Passive Forms of Subjunctive
- The boss insisted that Sam not be at the meeting.
- The company asked that employees not accept personal phone calls during business hours.
- I suggest that you not take the job without renegotiating the salary.
- Jake recommended that Susan be hired immediately.
- Christine demanded that I be allowed to take part in the negotiations.
- We suggested that you be admitted to the organization.
- It is important that you be standing there when he gets off the plane.
- It is crucial that a car be waiting for the boss when the meeting is over.
- I propose that we all be waiting in Tim's apartment when he gets home.
Should as Subjunctive
- The doctor recommended that she should see a specialist about the problem.
- Professor William suggested that Wilma should study harder for the final exam.