If + Present + Future(will+Inf.)
+ Present (can/may)
If + Past + Conditional (would + Inf.)
If + Past Perfect (had+3ªc.) + Conditional Perfect (would have+3ªc.) + Could have + 3ªc.
Mixed ConditionalsUnreal conditionals (type II + III) sometimes can be mixed, that is, the time of the if clause is different from the one of the main clause.
|Past --> Present|
|If Ian aspirin, I a headache now.|
|Past --> Future|
|If Ithat you are going to come by tomorrow, I in then.|
|Present --> Past|
|If sheenough money, she this trip to Hawaii.|
|Present --> Future|
|If Iyou, I my vacation in Seattle.|
|Future --> Past|
|If Ito Detroit, I a trip to Vancouver.|
- If it ________ (rain), the dams ___________ (become) full.
- Ice __________ (melt) if you ___________ (heat) it.
- If you _________ (throw) a ball to the west, it _________ (go) farther.
- People _________ (die) if they _____________ (not/eat) anything.
- If you _________ (put) water in a freezer, it __________ (turn) into ice.